Jupiter 6 drifting pitch

Finally time to address a long standing issue w my J6. The pitch is never stable. I have narrowed it down to the bender board. When I push either of the two OSC buttons and use the bender, it never comes back into pitch and in fact, if I bend down, it takes some time for the pitch to come back up; even though the bender itself is back in the middle position.

It feels like some sort of worn out capacitor that is taking too long to recharge. I’ve ordered some replacement caps for the bender board and will replace the two that are on that board.

Without touching those buttons it’ll stay mostly in tune, however after startup, my preset patches will be out of tune. Then I tune them and save the patch, play the keyboard, switch patches, re-correct more out of tune patches, then go BACK to the first one I corrected and it’s out of tune again.

Any thoughts?

Resolved issue. I replaced the three buttons on the bender board (VCO1, VCO2, WIDE) and the pitch issue is fixed. Finally have my Jupiter 6 back and wow, it’s an animal all it’s own!

How did you narrow it down to the buttons?

Through the process of elimination.

I first noticed that the rotary pots on the panel board were really loose. When I would merely touch the pitch pots for VCO 1 or 2, the pitch would change so I replaced them all. That helped a little but the pitch would still drift.

I then noticed when I used the bender lever how it would never return to the same center pitch, and would take time to come back to center, even though the lever was back in the center position. So I replaced the sliders and the two larger capacitors on the bender board and also calibrated the synth properly.

Still no improvement.

I had also noticed that the pitch would change every time I pressed the VCO select buttons on the bender board so I found some replacements to those and after putting them in, the issue was resolved completely.

I will eventually replace all the slider pots when I have the funds. They’re all extremely loose, but I bought this synth years ago with this pitch issue so now is the first time I’m really getting to enjoy it.

1 Like