Boss DR.202 Dr. Groove LCD display

Thanks for providing this info! Very useful.

Hey Voder!

The LCD screen is bigger than the opening allows for, so I hot glued the new LCD to the inside bottom of the case. There’s now a small gap between the LCD display and the clear top panel, but it’s not bad…

Gotcha. Was also thinking to just glue the new LCD to the plastic cover since it needs to be flush.

Assume you used a dremel or similar to widen the opening to fit the larger replacement LCD, right?

Hey Voder. I didn’t use a dremel, I just glued the LCD panel to the bottom inside of the case. It creates a gap between the top clear panel, and the actual LCD, but it’s not bad. My dremel skills are legendary in how terrible they are!

Hey @grooveduster I felt really inspired by your mod and gonna try on mine as well!

Obviously huge thanks to @Genesis orientation!

Already bought the components and just waiting them to get at my doorstep.

I just want to know if you could share where did you hooked up the backlight cables.

Gonna be sharing my process here as well!

Here’s the baby:

Hello, am I correct to assume the pin numbers on the PCB match the PIN numbers on the LCD board? (1 = 1, 2 = 2, etc)

I have 2 broken DR-202 units. The first PCB I damaged by trying to desolder the connector as is shown here. Very delicate.

Regarding this photo from April 2020, I zoomed in this image to study it. Not sure if that is what I see. It does not look like these are 1:1 pin mappings. Am I wrong? I am using a plain backlit Newhaven 1602 much like what is shown here.

When I applied power as shown here, I see 16 rectangles flickering. Tried to adjust contrast via the utility menu but no effect.

Thank you for sharing this information.

OIC! The map of pins given in this thread is what I was missing. Got it.

Hi, i have a boss dr202 with broken screen…i tried the same process like you, with the wires and a hd44780 16x2 screen…when i turn on the unit, the backlight its ok,the the screen turns on but it shows only lines like black boxes…the connections are exactrly the same with yours…what can cause this problem? Can it be the screen type? Thanks !

Replaced the original Boss LCD since it is practically impossible to read when you are in a dark(ish) room. Picture is sh*te but it is supposedly a red on black LCD, according to the specs. However, the color is really orange on black when installed and powered up in the DR-202.

Thanks to everyone who provided the information required to do the LCD replacement.