CLP-685 key removal

I’m needing to remove a key on my Yama CLP-685 because the note is frequently playing full volume. It is happening more and more.

DO NOT REMOVE KEYS - won’t fix it !!!

This is a known YAMAHA problem and is covered under warranty.

Get your local YAMAHA Service Agent involved and refer them to Service Bulletin DMI0113

1 Like

I actually took the entire piano apart, cleaned all the keys and vacuumed etc. took the pc boards and rubber pads out. The flat connectors are giving me fits to get back correctly. I got everything back together only to have made the situation worse. :person_gesturing_ok:t4:
I wish I would have seen your post before I started.

I’m in need of knowing how to get the flat ribbon cable back in the connections. I tried to look this up but the type of connector doesn’t seem to have a release method. Very challenging.

It’s simple - there is a little flap you lift up - need a finger nail or very small flat blade screwdriver.

This is closed:

Thus is open:

The flat cable just pushes into the open section about 2mm - then close the flap.

Thank you. Ben out all day. I’ll tackle it tomorrow and give a further response. :pray::grinning:

Yes, that turned out simple. I also bout a $7 rod to hold the keys up while needing to reinstall the pc boards and rubber pads. I think I’ve cleaned it well but it’s worse than it was before. I’ve now put it together 10x each time trying something different in the area that is not working properly.

1. Cleaned all the rubber black tips
  2. Cleaned the copper on pc board where rubber tips hit.
  3. Tried realigning flat ribbon cable
    I’m worn out with it.
    I might try purchasing the 3 pc boards and new rubber actuators pad strips.
    :person_gesturing_ok:t4:

NO!!!

Get YAMAHA involved and do what I said above - it is free !!!
To fix the issue everything needs replacing … all circuit boards and all rubber contacts!!!

Get your local YAMAHA Service Agent involved and refer them to Service Bulletin DMI0113

Will do. Thanks for your help and advice.

Update: thanks so much for your help. My clip-685 was just past the warranty so they would not fix it for free. Anyway, I replace the rubber contacts - all of them from this company and that solved the entire problem. I bought a 1/4 rod at Lowe’s for $7 to hold the keyboard in place vs $150 thru Yamaha.

RUBBISH,

it is WARRANTY - I am YAMAHA Service Agent and do them all the time … this DMI0113 (same as DMI0064 for older models) is a WARRANTY fix post usual warranty expiry. Tell them to do do their job as YAMAHA Agents.

The problem here is … whatever you do the problem will NOT go away … because it is a software fault that only can be rectified by replacing all the key contact boards and rubber contacts under the keys.

I tried. The Yamaha tech in Nashville said he called Yamaha and said what he said. Thankfully I fixed the problem. But like all expensive purchases service always becomes the number one issue.
Thanks for your help. If it goes out again maybe we can get the document that proves that the item is cover.
Thanks for all your help!