Digital Music MX-8, MIDI Patchbay -blown cap

Need advice. I’m not an experienced repair tech, but I’d like to be able to make basic repairs on my gear. I need to make sure I replace this cap with the correct one. I know it basically just needs 4700uF and 16V, and that higher rating is okay. But there are a lot of other variables which I don’t understand and I want to make sure I don’t order the wrong thing. Any help in picking one out would be appreciated. If Syntaur has an appropriate replacement to sell me I’ll gladly buy it from Syntaur.

Thank you.

Get an axial capacitor (leads on each end), electrolytic, at least 16V, higher can mean bigger capacitor, but they are smaller these days anyway. Higher voltage will mean it lasts longer. Japanese capacitors are highly regarded and you’re only buying one so no point cheaping out (although you may need to buy a few if you orderd from a component store).

You’ll probably find a lot of them are out of spec, especially any close to a heatsink as they don’t like heat.

1 Like

Checked the Syntaur website and they don’t sell capacitors. If your’re looking for specific part numbers these should work:
Digikey - 1572-1162
Mouser - MAL213815472E3
The Digikey cap is rated to 85C whereas the Mouser cap is rated at 105C.
Selection is limited on these style of capacitors as most caps today are radial or surface mount.
You may want to check those diodes too.
Cheers

Pat

1 Like

I agree entirely with gilesjuk and pod. I would just add make sure you orient the cap correctly that’s why they have the arrows with minus sign in them for the negative lead of the cap. Use a solder sucker or better solder wick to solder the old cap use least amount of heat as possible I tend to clip the lead between the cap body and the circuit board so I dont have to use as much heat
If you use too hot (too high wattage rating) you may loosen the trace from the circuit board. This is the reason to clip lead and use solder wick or sucker so removal is least amount of force to pull lead out and just touch trace solder joint for 1 or 2 seconds and lead will slide right out.

1 Like

With those big caps you can just heat the pad and pull each end out one at a time. Then clear the hole.

1 Like