Drumtraks MIDI Out Controlled by Sequencer?

Hi, so here’s my situation/question; but first some context before my questions and plea for help LOL

In a nutshell, Drumtraks sends MIDI data when it is started by me pressing the Play button on it; but does not send the data if its started by the external sequencer. Here are the particulars:

In the 1980s, my one-man-band featured a JL Cooper disc drive loading songs via MIDI data into an MSQ700 sequencer which then tells my 360 Systems MIDI Bass, SC Split-8 synth and my SC Drumtraks to start and play at the tempo set by the MSQ700. Then I sing and play a variety of live instruments over top of those drums, bass and keys. Now I am wanting to record all my 80s original songs’ MIDI data into Reaper so I can update all of the sounds. No problem, with the 360 Systems or the Split-8; big problems with syncing and recording the Drumtraks.

Here are the issues I need help with …

I have my Drumtaks going into my DAW (Reaper on a Win10 laptop) via UNO MIDI In/Out. When I power up the Drumtraks I hold “ENTER” and press “4” as advised.

• The Drumtraks wont send MIDI unless I strike one of the instrument pads first; then I press play, the song starts to play and MIDI starts transmitting and recording into Reaper (I notice that a SysEx starts transmitting also).

• I am also successfully transmitting and recording into Reaper MIDI from my MSQ700 sequencer; I connect the UNO to the MSQ700, load a song in, press play and Reaper records the MIDI. This leads to the Drumtraks second issue: when I connect the Drumtraks to the multimidi in/out box the other gear is connected to and press play on the MSQ, the Drumtraks will start and play along with the other devices, but only the Drumtraks stops sending MIDI data to Reaper. I suspect that I do not understand the “midi clock” or some other concept LOL

So, again, in a nutshell, Drumtraks sends MIDI data when it is started by me pressing the Play button on it; but does not send the data if its started by the external sequencer.

Can anyone please help?

Thanks,