DX7II diagnostic program

Below is a link to a service bulletin detailing a multi-step procedure for checking out the systems in a Yamaha DX7II. You press “yes” after each step to advance to the next one. The problem is that each step has to be completed before the display reads “ok” or “ng,” and you can press “yes.”

Since I don’t have a breath controller, I can’t access other things like the MIDI test. Does anyone know if it’s possible to skip steps with this procedure?

https://www.deepsonic.ch/deep/docs_manuals/yamaha_dx7ii-d-fd_service_bulletin_419.pdf

That seems like a pretty big oversight in the design of the test, unless eventually the test fails… (Afterall, even if you did have a BC, and it was broken, isn’t that the point of the test?!) the test doesn’t eventually time out and give you the “ng”? I only have an original DX7 (not II) but would assume any test like this would have a reasonable time limit!

Wanted to bump this thread because the self-test procedure for the Yamaha KX88 and KX76 have a similar issue. I don’t care to try to buy a Yamaha breath controller (who knows where all it had been??) but is there a way to cobble together something that could be connected in the breath controller’s place - maybe something with a pot you could turn to emulate wind pressure?

Look at this just as an idea:

Then make one if these to overcome the test …