Emu E4XT Ultra flash ram kit checksum fail

So, I recently purchased am Emu E4XT ultra that came with an uninstalled Syntaur 10435 16MB flash kit. The installation was uneventful but when I checked the memory it the kit failed the checksum. I uninstalled the kit and installed a sound ROM which passed its checksum test. I uninstalled the ROM and reinstalled the Flash Ram which again failed the Checksum. Questions for the hive mind:

  1. Is there anything I should do to the chip itself ( Clean the contacts etc) before giving up? Do these fail over time?
  2. In the SIMM memory checkin the E4XT my choices are D9 or D10. what does this mean?
  3. In the manual it shows many memory option setups but none of them use slots 5 or 6 ( ROM 3 or ROM4). Are these disabled or could I load 4 ROM chips in those slots?
  4. Thanks for the help everyone !

Did the unit come with the factory ram module?

If Yes; then install that and see if it works.

If no, Then I would look for the factory ram module to see if it works.

In the meantime I would look at the power supply to see if all voltage rails are correct.

I would also look at if there are any tantalum tear drop style capacitors and see if any have magically shorted. They could be pulling a memory power supply down if one is by the memory battery.