Emu Emax 2 in working order to sell?

Hello Syntaur’s!
I could use some advice with an Emu Emax 2 I’ve stumbled upon. It’s in kind of rough shape right now but i was hoping to clean it up and make sure everything works and try to sell it. I guess after the obvious of getting power to it, what would be some ways I could test out all the components to make sure they work as intended?
Also, will any 3 prong power cord work to power on the keyboard?
What about replacing a key? One of the white ones is chipped and partly broken. I’d be looking to replace that too.

Any advice would be helpful.

Hey there.
The 3 prong power cord you’re looking for is an IEC C-13 to Nema 5-15P. This is the common 3-prong cord used with most synthesizers, computers, and tons of other devices. We sell them on our website as well as replacement keys and other parts for the E-MU Emax II

Before turning the synth on (or even plugging it in) it’s usually a good idea to open it up and do a close visual inspection for any burnt components, especially in the power supply. If you spot anything burnt, then it’s best to begin with repairs rather than trying to turn the unit on; otherwise, further damage may occur. Always be careful when working on a power supply; the electricity from your wall is 120V AC and that’s enough to seriously harm you or worse. So always ensure the power cord is unplugged before handling the power supply.

When it comes to testing the components in the keyboard the easiest thing to do is turn it on and play it. Follow along the user manual and make sure all the functions work as intended. As you discover strange behaviors, take note - these are your clues for diagnosing which components have failed if any. If there are failed components you may need a multimeter or oscilloscope to diagnose what exactly has failed but it largely depends on the complexity of the problem.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the response. I was able to find a power cord for it and got it started up. It kept cycling thru the SCSI numbers but it powered up and the screen powered on so that’s a plus!

You need a floppy disk containing the operating system to start the sampler up from there. It continually cycles through the SCSI options to search for an OS disk if one isn’t in the floppy reader.

Well I suppose I better get that floppy something to read already!

This ? Is for you or anyone else that sees it and wants to contribute…

Where’s a good place to scope for pricing to the market. I know eBay pretty much IS the market but I’ve sold stuff on reverb before too. I thought about maybe taking it to my local guitar center for a quick payday, but I know they will bend me over with no lube. That’s the opposite of fast and easy, which in a perfect world, would be taken into account , not the real one. I already sold them a 1950 or 70 Martin guitar that was prob worth a fortune cause they paid me almost 4k for it!

I saw prices over 2k when I was doing some research in the past but I feel like that’s a bit high for now…

Good luck on that pretty challenging project. I believe typical manuals/documentations did not do you any good.