Ensoniq SD-1 32 voice with glitchy effects

Hi folks,

Since 2012 I have had a 32-voice SD-1. It is one of my favorites, but it has always had a really weird problem with the effects going crazy. The “cause” from a user perspective is practically 100% repeatable: If you switch patches too early before letting the effects pipeline “drain out”, you are very likely to trigger some highly volatile effects responses. These often take the form of an out-of-control process that results in the volume blowing up, quite like feedback. In some cases (the “Organizer” preset comes to mind), the problem is there right from the start and you just have to avoid such sounds. In some cases you get weird rhythmic, very “poppy” things going on.

I had heard that some of the Ensoniq software could be a bit temperamental, so I sort of assumed that perhaps this was a result of original glitches and the age of the unit.

Recently, though, I picked up an original 21-voice SD-1, and it has no such issues. This got me to thinking that I should try to go back and do a better job of diagnosing the 32-voice unit. I doubt the issue has anything to do with the 21-vs-32 voice models.

I don’t recall whether I had tried a reset; it has been like 10 years that I’ve had the unit. Some thoughts come to mind:

1. Some persistent glitch in memory that a hard reset might help
  2. Gunk on the system boards that might somehow be introducing “extra” signal paths
  3. Similar to #2, perhaps some bad (or loose) connector.

Just wondering if anyone has encountered similar symptoms and has any ideas.

Thanks!
Chuck