ESQ-m sounds garbled when first turned on

When first powered on there is a bit of a sweeping sound that goes up and down for a few seconds and then the sound of the patches is initially garbled sounding (like it’s being modulated by noise or something). After about 10-30 seconds it clears up and the thing behaves normally from that point on.

Any speculation on what this is? Is it a dying capacitor or something?

unstable power supply The capacitors in the power supply are failing. Too much variability will eventually fry the chips inside. There could also be other failure issues the power supply is trying to compensating for.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. Do you think it may have anything to do with the fact that this has the SQ80-M modification? I have not seen anyone reporting that it stresses the power supply or anything, but at the same time there is not an abundance of literature on the mod.

I have no info on it. this requires opening the unit and investigating.

Well I replaced all the large capacitors on the power supply board (there are two 10uF and one 22uF capacitors that I’ve yet to replace) with no change in behavior. I did figure out that it takes about a minute to go to normal behavior from power on, but if I turn it off and back on again fairly soon, it only takes a couple of seconds for it to be normal. If I leave it for a couple minutes and turn it back on it takes slightly longer. I also noticed that on a new start-up (after a long time off) the patches change around by themselves at first and eventually settle down shortly before the sound becomes normal.