HELP!: Ensoniq E-Prime Battery Reinstalled:HELP!

Hi, I installed a new battery in my Ensoniq E-Prime keyboard and it was my understanding that the internal sounds would remain intact.
After I installed the new battery, then turned on the keyboard the screen is just blank now??!?
I followed the next steps to re-initialize which was to hold down the two #9 presets along with edit/seq/preset button but again blank screen!??
Any ideas on how to return to the internal sounds?
I even went as far as to reinstall the old battery and boot back up but again screen lights up but is blank green screen -
I press some of the buttons on the keyboard and the screen does work but it only shows the button number. For example “button 22”, “button 10”, etc… any ideas?!?

Thanks in advance!!
Mike

Well… it looks like I figured out or solved the issue. I’m posting my own response just in case others in the forum or community come across this same issue with Ensoniq KT or E-Prime series keyboards. I’ve posted some photos as well here on battery replacement from a soldered 3V battery to a coin holder replacement. This is a much easier solution for future replacement of coin batteries. No more soldering. Simple replacement.
But to solve my original issue I found that the little diode next to the battery DOES NOT get soldered onto the “+” positive of the battery! It just simple lays on the board unconnected. Once I did that, my keyboard boots up fine without any issues and has all internal presets/sounds. Again see photo after install of battery wiring harness.

2 Likes

Hello Mike! I am getting back in to Midi and have a E-Prime with dead battery. How to you get to the battery to do the replacement? I have dumped data to pcmcia card.

Thanks!

Glenn

Hi Glenn…
I have 3-4 photos that i can share with you on the replacement I did for the battery. You can purchase a very inexpensive replacement on line that has two leads for positive and negative (red and one black) wire with a battery coin housing. You can mount that with the Velcro they provide to the inside of the keyboard for easy replacement in the future.
If you want to discuss or share phone # or email, I can send you the photos of what I did.
Let me know, Mike

1 Like

Hello Mike!

That would be great! Any details or photos wold be very much appreciated.
Sorry for the delayed response it has been a strange year and just now starting to get back to normal. Most of my gear is old from early 1980’s and in need of attention.

Thanks again!

Glenn
glenn.sheffield at gmail dot com

I have a KT-88 that I changed the battery in and now I get a Code 138, and from what I’m told, that is display stuck in self test mode. The unit worked fine until I changed the battery. I believe I may have soldered the same diode on the positive. I guess it won’t hurt to check. I’ve tried everything else.

Well, no such luck. I guess it’s now a boat anchor

Hi Bob. Got your message. Thanks for reaching out.

Do you guys have any sample music or videos.

?

I definitely might have interest, my concern is you’re in Hatfield and it’s a good 45 minutes drive. I hope you understand. Love the music though!

Mike

Sorry about the previous response my message was meant to say that if you remove the one side of the diode from the board and leave it hanging outside of the battery and no solder connection to the board and try powering up, my E Prine Boudet up with the internal sounds no issue and still remains no issue.

Mike: I saw one of your posts re: your replacement of battery for the Ensoniq EPrime. You said you had some photos showing how you replaced the battery with a button battery. Could you send me those photos?

Randy

Mike: I just sent you a reply to a different one of your replies re: your photos of how you replaced your EPrime battery with a button type. Could you send me thos photos. I am at rmonchick@gmail.com

Randy