KORG N364 burned SMD capacitor

Hello guys, I have a N364 that I was repairing (some faulty buttons) everything was fine until I accidently burned a SMD capacitor in the mainboard, it’s a capacitor that goes to the LCD screen connections, I forgot to connect the LCD screen ground and the moment I turned the keyboard I smelled the capacitor burning, I managed to turn the power off before the screen had any damage (I think, I really want to think the screen is ok…) I haven’t turned it on since then, so, I looked for the N364 diagram and found out the piece number to be replaced, it is a N3216Z122T01 surface mount capacitor, Impedance 1200±30% (at 50MHz), 0.1A, size code 1206, DCR (mΩ) max 1000. The thing is I can’t find it anywhere, and electronic stores ask me for capacitance value (which I can’t find anywhere nor can figure out how to calculate it). My question is if it is possible to replace it for another type of capacitor, ceramic type for example since those are more easy to find or if you know a way to calculate it’s capacitance value. I’m really stucked with this, hope you can help me guys, thanks in advance.

Hi, I have a similar issue. Have you been able to solve your problem? Any good sources for electronics?

Thanks.

Unfortunately I didn’t find any electronic store that could help me, what I did to solve the problem was to buy an old and dead N364 (dead motherboard, missing keys and buttons, hard hits and scratches on most surfaces) and took the capacitor from it, but before soldering the capacitor I realized what the real issue was; I had problems with the volume slider, it was damaged, volume would cut out as you moved up or down the slider, so I tried to re-trace the slider’s path with very very thin cooper wires (it was a really bad and dumb idea) that’s what provoqued the capacitor to burn, so I replaced the slider with a new one, soldered the capacitor I got from the dead N364 and everything worked like a charm.

GOOD JOB!
I’m always open to learn new tricks, believe it or not, YOUR RESPONSE HELPS MANY PEOPLE, IT MAKES IT EASY WHEN YOU HAVE A GOOD IDEA AND SHARE IT.
If you think IT CAN’;T BE FIXED… YOU WON’T!

1 Like