New DeepMind 6 with damaged keybed

First post, hi everyone!
Ok now that the pleasantries are out the way, I just purchased a behringer deepmind 6 that had some minor damage with a couple lifted keys,
but continued to operate functionally. Once I received it I found that a total of 4 keys have this issue and an additional 2 will soon suffer the same fate.
I’m hoping that I can get parts from behringer to repair this myself, but if not I’m reaching out to you guys for advice, answers, etc.

I’m wondering if this is a common part shared between models or even manufacturers.

So I received an email back from Musictribe who support behringer and they provided me with a parts list and will sell me the entire keybed assembly for 100.00 usd. I believe this is pretty fair.

We have not had that synth here to examine what type of keys it uses, but those look like these Fatar keys:

If they are this type, it could be that the key itself is broken, where it hooks over the rubber bushing. Normally when a key is raised like that, it is either the key that is broken, or the nub of the keybed chassis that holds the rubber bushing, and your photos show that the bushing nub is still there. So take a look at the keys and make sure they aren’t broken underneath.

1 Like

It looks like the keybed chassis has cracked in several places, I’m linking a few more photos of the damage as well as the pictures Musictribe sent of the replacement keybed assembly.

I guess at this point I have a solution. Replacement of the keybed which is reasonably priced, at least in my opinion. Otherwise I can attempt to repair the plastic at the cracked surface with glue or epoxy, or finally leaving it as is, because it still maintains all functionality

1 Like

That is a good price for a new keybed. Gluing broken keybed pieces together rarely holds up for long.

Do you have plans for the broken keybed once you replace it? If you don’t need it, I’d be interested in getting it to research what parts are used. Let me know what you’d like to get for it (if you want to let it go).

1 Like

Hey Sam,

Yes I would be willing to let it go.

It’s because of your YouTube channel that I was brave enough to disassemble the synth in the first place.

I should hear back from the support department tomorrow or the next day so I can place my order.

Getting something for the keybed would be great as an offset of the replacement part. Trying to be financially responsible during a pandemic and all.

I’ve always been terrible at pricing things so I will leave it to you to determine what is fair.

Thanks again for responding and have a great day.

Hello, After searching on the internet for quite some time I finally found your post syntaur.

I just bought a used deepmind 12 that I didn’t realize it had a cracked key until I got home.

Anyway, I was wondering if you could provide a link to that YouTube video that showed you how to take apart the deep mind. and also I opened it up but without taking it apart I wanna try to slide the key off like I noticed the pictures you have the keys off, and been removed but I don’t kno

w how to do wiggle it off without braking anything. I removed the spring… but cant figure out how to remove the key… Any help would be greatly apprecisted! Thanks!!

Hey Darwin58
The keys can’t be taken out individually, the entire keybed has to be removed. There is an entire assembly holding them all together. It may be possible to repair individual keys if the assembly was out but I wouldn’t expect this to be a very easy task. When I repaired mine it was to replace the whole keybed with a new one. I will see if I can locate some documentation, but from what I remember musictribe sent me instructions I think.

Thanks for the quick reply! If you have the directions, that would be very helpfull!

Hi Again,

i am having a hard time obtaining the directions to remove keybed probably because its not under warranty…if you find the directions. Please let me know. Maybe they were in an email you still have? Do you remember it being difficult?

The repair center that’s getting the piece for me said they couldn’t give me the repear manual or instructions either because they’re not allowed to buy music tribe

Thanks!!

I looked through my old emails and couldn’t find it. My old computer died and was replaced so no way to look through that. Remember, mine was the Deepmind 6, not the 12, but it was essentially a full tear down. That being said it wasn’t too difficult, just pretty deep. From what I remember which is pretty hazy I had to remove all screws from the bottom as well as the rear panel. I don’t remember if I had to remove the wood cheeks or not.

Just be prepared to disassemble everything and take pictures before and along the way so it can be put back in the same order. Also be gentle with any ribbon cables when pulling them out.

I wish I could be more helpful but it’s been a few years

You can certainly remove an individual key once the keybed it removed. Just stick a small flat screwdriver in the slot that is right next to the return spring, and gently press against the clip that holds the key in place. Here is more info: