Problem with Roland D-50 Keybed

I just bought a Roland D-50 and the keybed only makes sound when you release the key/keys. I tried every patch and it’s the same on all patches. I opened it up and cleaned all the contacts and that did nothing. I then hooked it up to a midi controller and it worked perfect. Does anyone know what might be the problem with it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Odds are very good that it’s a problem with the gate array chip that scans the keys, or something on the “dyna scan board” that houses the gate array chip. This is completely independent of the MIDI control, which is why MIDI works fine.

However, that sounds odd that it’s recognizing the “break” part of the key contact, without doing anything upon “make.” I have a Roland synth here with a bad gate array chip (same one as in the D-50, IIRC) where it doesn’t recognize the “break,” and any notes triggered get held down in sustain mode. I’d have to get a better look at the synth to say much more about what it could be.

Thanks for the reply. I think you’re right. Now I have to find out where I can get a replacement chip.

1 Like

It was the dyna scan ram chip. I replaced it and now it works like a charm.

1 Like

Glad you found a replacement. That’s really 90% of the battle, finding the replacement chip.

6116SA15TPG This is the ram chip in case someone else needs it.