Yamaha P-250 Stage Piano amp?

Hi There, i still use this piano - for the past 3 or 4 years it’s taken a long time to warm up - until it does it plays only harsh static. it was a few minutes but now it’s 15 minutes. Because of this I usually just leave it on. Once it’s warm it plays fine.

But I would like to fix the problem - it seems like the amplifier to me. Does anyone know if this part is available anywhere.

PS - I know the piano is 20 years old but I had the keybed replaced about 10 years ago with the updated model. that’s the main reason why I don’t want to get rid of it yet.

TIA, Paul

1 Like

I’ll be following this for sure - I have a P250 that someone on this forum was nice enough to give to me. It is broken and I haven’t had a lot of time to look at it, but it seems to be a power supply issue. I saw another post about a power supply issue in this model as well, and I’m suspecting yours is too… My problem, and perhaps yours, are probably due to old capacitors on the power supply. I’ll be interested to hear what others have to say. I have gotten to the point that I have removed the power supply from mine but havent done any further testing.

Are you talking about an internal amp or external?
Do you get clean sound immediately in headphones? You know, solid state amps never need a warm up like vintage tube amps did. In general, heat is the great enemy of solid state electronics. Whenever I hear that a recurring problem changes consistently with change in operating or ambient temps, it makes me suspect the factor of expanding and contracting metals. Back in highschool electronics shop, my project to diagnose and repair a flaky power on in a small b&w tv turned out to be a lifted trace on the circuit board which was breaking contact when the TV warmed up. Finding and resoldering the flaky trace points in the PCB resolved that problem. Also remember that once a case has been opened and imperfectly closed, there may be an issue with physical fitting and strain displacement of some parts or wiring connections. Those can be effected by heat expansions that might monkey with connections. I might try to test for the same symptom when case is open, bottom and top separated. What then?

internal amp. It’s staticy even in headphones. It could be the power supply too. I left this on for years so probably heat like you say. I’m just not sure what component as it wasn’t obvious when I looked at the boards. I’ve had the case open many times - plenty of room.

Once it warms up, use freeze spray to ID the problem area.

Failing Electrolytic capacitors - I suggest to re-cap the PSU to start with. If that does not solve the issue then re-cap the DM board

Hey Werner, That’s exactly what I intend to do :grinning: